Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

Accountability, how to get it and maintain it….



A lot of men and women struggle to have accountability in their exercise. But there are 2 types of accountability I’m talking about: workout accountability and nutrition accountability. You can not have one with out the other. You can workout all day but if you aren’t eating correctly then you are wasting your time.

You have to be fully committed to eating right and working out properly. Over the years I have learned that if people make workout calendars and set meal plans they are more successful in their goals. This helps them hold themselves accountable to workout on schedule and to eat properly when it’s on a calendar or preplanned out. Placing the calendar somewhere very visible helps remind you that you have to do it. Scheduling gym time into your day also helps.

Make working out part of your daily routine. Would you skip brushing your teeth everyday?- then why skip working out or eating correctly? Your physical fitness and nutrition are very important. Your health is something that once it goes bad-its very hard to get it back. Maintenance your body just as you would your car. You only have one body in this life- so take good care of it.

People forget to that you don’t have to go to a gym to lose weight and tone up. I lost 93 pounds with out a gym; everything I used was my bodyweight, free weights and stopwatch. So the excuse of “I have no time to go to the gym” isn’t a valid excuse anymore.
Another great way is to find a workout buddy, preferably someone who has the same goals as you. I’ve trained hundreds of clients over the years and those who have a workout buddy tend to stay more focused than those who don't.

If you are someone who can’t find the motivation then try hiring a personal trainer for a few weeks. Having a personal trainer is probably the most effective way to reach a fitness goal, especially if you are not motivated. Personal trainers, like me, not only walk you through the workouts, but hold you accountable to show up, complete the workouts and to eat properly. I force my clients to do myfitnesspal.com, which they write down every single thing they eat and record their exercise. If they don't show up to a scheduled appointment - I’m calling and texting them- holding them accountable. After a few weeks I find my clients asking for “homework” workouts because they are so motivated. After a while the most unmotivated person is motivated.

Set mini-goals. Sure your goal may be to lose 20 pounds by August, but set a mini-goal of 1.5 pounds a week or cutting out soda this week and ice-cream the next. I personally have “Do not eat more than 3 oreos a day or you will be fat” written on a post-it on my cabinets.

I record all of my workouts and it shows my progress, whether its an increase in reps or weight or even going longer in cardio. It’s a way to see where I was and how far I have come. I also measure and weight once a month. Looking back on my records, I see progress which motivates me even more.

So basically what I am saying is:
1.Make a calendar for meals and workouts
2.Find workouts to do at home (check out http://torquefitness.webs.com/ and their DIY Plan that they offer)
3.Get a workout Buddy
4.Hire a Personal Trainer if you can’t hold yourself accountable
5.Set Mini-goals to help you reach your big goal
6.Record your workouts, measurements, and review ever so often to see your progress
.

Redbook/Torque/WebMD

No comments:

Post a Comment